The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, (JAMB) says the 19-year-old candidate, who sued the Board over his exam score has been handed over to the Police.
The Board’s Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede, while briefing newsmen in Abuja yesterday, said the candidate, Chinedu John tampered with the result the Board issued to him.
Oloyede said John claimed he scored 380 in the examination conducted in June but was surprised to receive 265 from the board after the results were released.
According to him, after ‘altering’ his UTME score, the candidate’s father, John Ifenkpam approached a lawyer in Enugu, Ikeazor Akaiwe, who wrote to JAMB demanding N1 billion as damages and also asked the board to conduct another exam for the boy.
The lawyer was said to have argued that the N1billion is meant to cover for the physical and emotional trauma the boy had been through from being offered “two separate scores”.
The candidate was said to have also claimed that JAMB denied him the opportunity to study medicine, his desired course because the exam body ‘altered’ his UTME scores in 2019, 2020 and 2021.
However, following an invitation from the management of the board, the candidate, his father and their lawyers visited JAMB’s headquarters in Abuja on Friday.
The boy was said to have been given few minutes in a closed session with his father and lawyers to confess about the result he was parading, but he insisted that the original score he received from the Board was 380.
After going back and forth, the board tendered a piece of documentary evidence which showed that John actually scored 265 and not the 380 he had claimed.
Oloyede accused John of tampering with his result, adding that he will be handed over to the Police for investigation and subsequently prosecuted.
He also said the original result issued to him would be withdrawn pending investigation. He said the boy claimed he committed the crime because ‘the result he got was not up to what could give him his desired programme’.