The Federal Government has said it was in support of the recent visa ban by the United States government on some Nigerians who undermined the nation’s democracy.
Recall that the United States government announced visa restrictions on Nigerians who undermined the country’s democracy, a ban it said was not targeted at the Nigerian people or the government, but at specific individuals.
The US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, made the announcement last week in a statement but failed to mention the names of the affected people.
Speaking at the 20th edition of the PMB Scorecard Series yesterday in Abuja, Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said
whatever action was taken against anyone who undermines Nigeria’s democracy “is right and justified”.
“Let those who undermine our democracy be sanctioned and let them carry their cross”, he declared.
Mohammed bragged that no administration in Nigeria’s history has shown more fidelity to the tenets of democracy than the current Muhammadu Buhari-led government.
The Minister said the Buhari administration was creating a template for a smooth transition of power to the next administration on May 29, 2023, adding that the Government does not have any plan to extend its stay in office beyond the handover date.