‘South-East will be on lockdown every Monday till Nnamdi Kanu is freed’, IPOB declares

The proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, (IPOB), says it will enforce a lockdown every Monday in the South-East region until its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, is released.

In a statement issued yesterday,  IPOB’s Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, said the lockdown tagged ‘ghost Monday’ will also affect schools and marketplaces.

He said the sit-at-home order will start on Monday, August 9, and remain in place until their requests are heeded.

“We, the global family of the Indigenous People of Biafra IPOB, ably led by our great leader, Nnamdi Kanu, wish to announce to all Biafra citizens, friends of Biafra and lovers of Biafra freedom and independence that IPOB leadership has declared every Monday ‘a ghost Monday”, the statement reads.

“This declaration takes effect from Monday, August 9, 2021. From that day Biafra land will be on lockdown every Monday from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm until our leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu who was unlawfully abducted in Kenya and illegally detained by the federal government of Nigeria is released.

“We declare every Monday sit-at-home throughout Biafra land until our leader, Nnamdi Kanu, regains his freedom. The federal government must allow him access to his personal physicians, and allow him to sign documents given to him by the British Government to provide him consular assistance. This peaceful protest will continue once every week until our demands are met.

“Consequently, all institutions public and private, transport companies, schools, banks, markets, airports and seaports in Biafra land must shut down every Monday beginning from August 9. People are to remain indoors to register their concern over the fate of our Leader and the rest of all agitators languishing in various security detentions.

“Nobody should attempt to flout this directive as doing so may come with huge consequences. Anybody flouting this order is taking a grave risk”, it further stated.

Recall that the embattled secessionist leader is facing charges bordering on treasonable felony brought against him by the federal government over his campaign for the Republic of Biafra.

He was released in April 2017 on health grounds but jumped bail after flouting some of the conditions given to him by the court but was re-arraigned before Binta Nyako of the federal high court in Abuja on June 29 after being intercepted and extradited to Nigeria. His trial was adjourned till July 26 for a hearing.

The trial was later adjourned to October 21, due to the inability of the federal government to provide him in the court.

Related news

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.