Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum, says if the military is unable to secure Baga town, he would engage hunters to keep the town safe.
The Governor, who was reacting to the attack on his convoy by Boko Haram insurgents in Baga town while on his way to some internally displaced person’s camps in Kukawa local government area of the state on said, “We have over 1,181 soldiers in Baga; 72 officers, 107 soldiers, 400 soldiers in Mile 4 and 1,900 soldiers in Monguno. I see no reason why Boko Haram will not stop to operate in Baga town.
“The troops have been in Mile 4 for over one year, there is complete sabotage, the problem is not with President Buhari, or General Buratai but the command and control structures. There is a need to look into the command structure.
“We have over 80,000 IDPs in Monguno, they cannot continue to depend on NGOs and others for food, we have created opportunity for them to go back to their communities and continue with their business and farming activities.”
He said: “After Sallah, we will go back to Kukawa. We will give time to the military; but if they will not clear Baga, we will mobilise our hunters and vigilantes to recapture Baga… we can’t continue like this. People have to take their destiny in their hands.”
The military, however, said it would investigate the attack on the convoy.
The military authorities in a statement by the spokesman of the Army, Col. Sagir Musa, who confirmed the attack on the convoy of the governor, admitted that the Governor had earlier paid a visit to the Commander, 19 Brigade, at the Nigerian Army Super Camp Baga where he was fully briefed about the prevailing security situation in the general area.
Musa said. “The unfortunate incident occurred shortly after the Governor and his entourage departed the Super Camp to visit other parts of Baga town. The incident forced the Governor to abort his planned movement to Baga.
“Although, details of the unfortunate incident are sketchy and under investigation, efforts are ongoing to comb the area where the incident occurred with a view to track down and deal decisively with the attackers. An investigation is also in progress to identify the circumstances that led to the attack.”
One killed, 16 injured as explosion rocks Maiduguri
The Borno Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Aliyu, on Thursday confirmed the death of one person with 16 others injured following three explosions in Maiduguri metropolis.
Aliyu said the explosions occurred in Mairi, Custom and Gwange areas of the metropolis.
Aliyu said that the actual cause of the explosions was yet to be ascertained, but Police teams had been dispatched to the areas.
He said: “We have dispatched our Explosive Ordinance Detection (EOD) to investigate the incidents and to determine whether it was an Improvised Explosive Device (IED).
“Right now, I am at the Specialist Hospital where we have 16 casualties and one dead so far.”
I haven’t slept for five days because of killings, banditry in Katsina – Emir Usman
The Emir of Katsina, Abdulmuminu Kabir Usman said he has not slept for five because of the security situation in the state.
He laments the near daily occurrence of killings and banditry in some government areas in Katsina State, adding that “all our wealth is useless if there is no peace.
He called for prayers in bringing an end to the situation.
Pray for Buhari else Nigeria will go asunder – Gowon
Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon has expressed fears that Nigerian may go asunder if Nigerians don’t pray for President Muhammadu Buhari.
Gowon disclosed that there are people with sinister motives, who wouldn’t want peace to reign in the country.
Though, he acknowledged that Buhari is doing a lot, but the security challenges are still obvious in the country.
Gowon reemphasized that if Nigeria’s territorial integrity is undermined, Somalia will be a child’s play, warning that no one should be allowed to toil with the unity of the country.
He spoke in Abuja at the thanksgiving service and reception organized by the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in honour of the newly appointed Executive Secretary, Nigerian Christian Pilgrim Commission (NCPC), Rev. Yakubu Pam.
Gowon who was represented by the Minister of Special Duties and Inter-governmental Affairs, Senator George Akume said: “Yakubu Pam has been sufficiently prepared by God to serve his people. I can testify to the fact that who the cap fits let him wear it. This commission is crucial and sensitive as one of the agencies of government.
“You are coming into the office at a time that we have very serious security challenges. We have made a lot of efforts to solve these problems along with people of other religion. That is why virtually everybody supported you for this position. It is an opportunity for you to do even more to bring peace to our country.
“We need peace to succeed. I know President Muhammadu Buhari is doing a lot but the challenges are still there. There are people with sinister motives, who wouldn’t want peace. But through prayers, I appeal to CAN to continue to pray not only for Yakubu Pam but for the president and all of us, and for your dear country, so that Nigeria will not go asunder. I once made a comment that this country is too big and versed with a population of over 200 million.